Submit Scoop []

John Cho: Will he have to die for Sulu to live?

Posted by Admin Thursday, October 1, 2009

John Cho, who plays FBI agent Demetri Noh on ABC's hit sci-fi series FlashForward, faces a dilemma: He was also Hikaru Sulu in J.J. Abrams' hit Star Trek movie and looks forward to reprising the role in an expected sequel, but he's already got this full-time TV gig now.

There is one way he might be able to do both (spoilers ahead!):

In FlashForward, Cho's character is one of the few who doesn't have a vision of his own future, leading him to believe that his character may be dead by the time April 29, 2010—the date in everyone's future visions and, conveniently, the date of FlashForward's season-one finale—rolls around, relieving Cho of his commitment to the show.

Well, we know how those kinds of things play out.

"Yeah, I don't know," Cho told us in an exclusive phone interview on Tuesday. "Listen, all I know is that, ... First of all, I don't know when [a Star Trek sequel is] going, and if it's going. I'm pretty sure it's going, but I don't know for sure, and I don't know how long. I don't know if my character will live on FlashForward. There's a lot of question marks. The thing that I do know is that both sets of producers want the other project to happen. So you start from a place of good will. I'm pretty confident that we can work through whatever situation comes up. I think they feed one another."

Cho as Sulu in Star Trek

Cho is contractually obligated to appear in the next Trek and, as a fan-favorite character, Sulu is sure to be in the follow-up. As for FlashForward, Cho is one of the main cast members, so who really thinks he's going to die?

Cho is coy.

"Well, I don't know if he's going to die, and it's an issue," Cho says, adding: "In features, typically you know the ending, and you work from the ending. You know where the characters starts and where the character ends, and you've got to figure out a way to connect the two. I only know the beginning at this point. I was worried about playing that, although it sort of solved itself. It's playing out very naturally, where we just sort of go with each development as it comes. ... Unless, of course, there's some big revelation. ... I've heard that people think I may be an evil mastermind behind it all. That would be confusing if it were a later development like that. So far, so good."

Source: SciFiWire


blog comments powered by Disqus